Carving out the time for a daily skin care routine can be difficult when you’re always on the go. While cleansing and moisturizing your skin is important, it’s not everything when it comes to fighting acne and signs of aging. The foods you eat each day have a bigger impact on your skin health than you may realize. With the holiday season fast approaching – and all the indulgences the season brings – it’s more important than ever to include foods that promote healthy skin in your daily routine.
The Round Up:
Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, drinking several glasses of water each day to stay hydrated, and limiting snacks are vital to skin health. There are many “super” foods and beverages that promote healthy skin, but here are some of our favorites:
- Green tea: Green tea contains properties that fight skin redness and conditions such as rosacea. It prevents the inflammation that causes the conditions in the first place.
- Yogurt: The high protein content of yogurt contributes to skin firmness. This food also helps delay deeply set wrinkles from becoming a permanent fixture on your face.
- Tomatoes: This vegetable contains an antioxidant called lycopene that provides natural protection against the sun’s harmful rays. Although not a replacement for sunscreen, eating tomatoes is an additional way to guard against premature skin aging, brown spots, and even skin cancer.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a better choice for breakfast than a bagel or toast with topping. The refined sugar and carbohydrates in bread products increase the production of the hormone androgen that stimulates oil production. The oil becomes trapped and causes pimples. Topping your oatmeal with fresh fruit is even better for your health and skin.
- Green and yellow peppers: Also a natural sun protectant, green and yellow peppers help to slow the development of crow’s feet around your eyes that can make you look older.
- Walnuts: As the only type of nut that has a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts prevent the dry and scaly skin common with eczema.
Your body needs antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins each day for good health. This includes your skin. When preparing your food, make sure that your plate contains colorful foods.
Get Holiday Ready Skin with a Professional Dermatology Treatment
When it comes to your skin, sometimes you need a little extra help. That’s where we come in. Our laser skin treatments help many common skin conditions, including wrinkles, fine lines, crow’s feet, sun damage, and acne scars. The laser sends bursts of light energy to your skin’s dermis that correct damage at its source.
You may also wish to consider a dermal filler or injectable treatment. These target specific problems with your skin and quickly give you a younger and smoother overall appearance.
Dermatology Associates offers a full spectrum of leading edge medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology services from offices in Savannah and Vidalia.